Part 5 – The Build

The weather forecast suggested that yesterday morning would be the first and last chance for another few days to get out and get on with my garden project to build a small rectangular raised bed out of Woodblocx. Everything was wet, but the stormy wind had died right down and I set to work straight after breakfast. I marked out the position with metal pegs and removed the loosely assembled blocks to each side, ready to go right back into position. Then I cut and removed the turf, raked and roughly levelled the plot. Rain stopped play for half an hour, then during the respite I set about building without resorting to the sharp sand. Banging the plastic dowels into the pre-drilled holes in the blocks is kind of satisfying, but more like brute force and work than just clicking lego together! One or two blocks in the second layer wouldn’t fit easily onto the rising dowels below, but swapping blocks or turning one around was always enough to get there. The third layer was easier still and I finished off the top cover using a rubber hammer rather than a spare block as suggested. Once completed, along with a couple of other small jobs, that was the best part of the day over and I’m very pleased with the result. The woodblocx building system is not child’s play by any means but it’s nice not to have to resort to noisy power tools and the resulting construction is incredibly strong. My thoughts are that this may be slightly over engineered just for a small bed or herb garden, but I can see how the method is well suited to building a large retaining wall, garden steps, and especially to making a large koi carp pond with surrounding flower beds. It’s quite hard work banging all the bits together, but less so than digging a big hole in the ground! I wouldn’t be surprised to see somebody build a house with this one day.

Turf removed

Turf removed

1st row dowels inserted

1st row dowels inserted

 

Row 1 in Position

Row 1 in Position

Row 2 in Position

Row 2 in Position

 

Row 3 in Position

Row 3 in Position

 

Complete

Complete

 

This entry was posted in Garden Project. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This blog is kept spam free by WP-SpamFree.